New partnership with West Suffolk College offering teacher training places with Suffolk and Norfolk SCITT to start training as a secondary teacher in late September 2018
We are delighted to build a new partnership with West Suffolk College to offer teacher training places in Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science for a late September 2018 start. Please submit your application via UCAS by September 10th.
If you would like to apply then you need to apply through UCAS and follow this link - https://2018.teachertraining.apply.ucas.com/apply/student/login.do
In order to apply you need to meet the entry requirements which are:
- You'll need to hold an undergraduate degree awarded by a UK higher education provider, or a recognised equivalent qualification.
- You’ll need to have achieved a standard equivalent to grade C/4, or above, in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics.
- You'll also need to pass the professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy before you begin your teacher training. You can apply for these as soon as you submit your application to UCAS. See more information here
Once registered on UCAS you need to work through the various steps completing your application profile. On Course Selection option you need to click 'Add a choice' which is the training provider code which in this case is County Upper (1OZ). Click on 'select training programme' you will be presented with an alphabet bar and you need to click on the first letter of the subject you wish to apply for. In this case C for Chemistry (28TG) or Computing (28TT); P for Physics (28TJ). Please ensure that the accrediting provider for the course you select is 'Suffolk and Norfolk Secondary SCITT'.
Continue to complete your application but pleaes note that we will not receive your application until both of your referees have completed their references. If you would like more information about what to include in your Personal Statement then see some advice here. Please note that school experience is not a requirement of any application.
If you would like further support with completing your UCAS application then you can register with Premier Plus and one of their advisors will assist you https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/get-help-and-support/premier-plus They are aware that we are recruiting to these subjects over the summer.
What happens next?
- Your application will then be shortlisted by Suffolk and Norfolk SCITT and West Suffolk College.
- If successful you will then be invited to an interview at West Suffolk College very quickly.
- You need to pass your professional skills tests in English and maths.
- If you are successful then you would start the course in the last week of September/first week of October and you will finish the course on 28th June 2019.
Structure of the course
- You are entitled to receive a tax free bursary depending on your class of your degree and the amounts can be found here. http://www.suffolkandnorfolkscitt.co.uk/secondary-teaching/finance This bursary will be paid to you in ten equal instalments from October 2018 to July 2019.
- You will need to pay for your tuition fees which are £9000 and you can apply for a student loan from the Student Loan Company if you are a UK citizen or a EU national. (Applications to the Student Loan company can be completed once has an offer been made). More information can be found here https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/overview/postgraduate-loans
- During your training your main placement will be at West Suffolk College where you will be teaching 16-19 year olds but you will also have a second placement teaching 14-16 year olds in one of the local secondary schools situated near or in Bury St Edmunds.
- You will work alongside a teacher at West Suffolk College and gradually take over the responsbility of teaching classes but starting initially with group work and then leading to whole lessons. Teaching 7 hours a week by Christmas; 10 hours by Easter and 13 hours by the end of June.
- You will receive regular lesson observations; weekly mentor meeting from the staff at West Suffolk College
- Suffolk and Norfolk SCITT will also provide you with two tutors to offer further support.
- You will also attend training from Suffolk and Norfolk SCITT where you will be introduced to topics suche as assessment for learning; behaviour for learning; differentiation etc. A full programme will be shared with you.
- You will be expected to attend West Suffolk College or Suffolk and Norfolk SCITT training every day of the school term.
We look forward to receiving your application and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.