What will our Sociology PGCE offer you?
- Our Sociology programme has proven very successful for the five years that we have been training Sociology teachers for secondary schools.
- Our current Sociology PGCE is centred around a knowledge-based approach and it will enable you to develop the core knowledge you need to confidently start your career teaching Sociology to students aged 14 to 19.
- You will also be encouraged to develop your understanding of the skills and knowledge of teaching of Sociology from Key Stage 4 and 5 to university.
- As part of the PGCE element of this course you will write two assignments which are related to the teaching of Sociology.
- One assignment at Masters’ level is about the use of metacognition strategies in the teaching of your subject and the other Masters’ level assignment will have a classroom research-based focus.
What skills and knowledge will you learn?
- You will be taught how to develop your knowledge of teaching Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5 topics in Sociology and what the difference is between them.
- You will be given the opportunity to reflect on the development of skills and knowledge between the two key stages.
- You will be encouraged to think about the importance of Sociology in the curriculum and how it can also be linked to the real world and why it is an important subject for students to study.
- You will be shown how to implement behaviour management strategies specifically for Sociology classes as you will be teaching older students.
How is the Sociology PGCE structured and who is involved?
- Our Sociology programme is structured around (i) formal sessions from the SCITT Sociology Subject Tutor and (ii) the subject knowledge that you will receive from your school mentors who work alongside you in the classroom.
- In your placement school with the guidance and support from your mentors, you will develop the subject knowledge needed to teach successfully in your placement schools.
- In addition, you will have six Sociology SCITT Subject Knowledge days led by a highly experienced practitioner who has experience of subject leadership in schools.
- She will deliver the six Sociology Subject Knowledge days which are spread across the year. These are full of practical teaching strategies for you to be able to use in the classroom in any school.
- These Subject Knowledge days will be supplemented by tasks and a subject studies programme which you will complete during the year.
- We will also provide you with specific books for the Sociology programme, and a laptop and a visualiser for the duration of your teacher training programme.
- You will also be assigned a Sociology SCITT Tutor who will work closely with you. They will observe you teach at least four times during the year.
- They are all Sociology specialists so their understanding of teaching the Sociology curriculum is comprehensive. These visits by your Sociology SCITT Tutor will be in addition to the school visits/ lessons observations that you will also receive from a SCITT Personal Tutor.
- All visits by any SCITT Tutor provide support and feedback that helps you in your development to become a successful trainee and newly qualified teacher. No lessons are graded, and all feedback is given in a personalised manner.
How will you be assessed?
- At the end of each term, there is an Assessment Point where you will be observed by your Sociology SCITT Tutor then discussions will be had with your mentor and other colleagues in your placement school regarding your progress to that point.
- You must pass that Assessment Point in order to continue onto the next term of the programme, but the decision is not made on that one lesson observation.
- Your progress is assessed against the Teachers’ Standards across the term and the quality of your teaching; your completion of your portfolio; your engagement with the subject studies and professional studies programmes; your ability to act on feedback and your professionalism in schools with colleagues and students are all looked at as part of that Assessment Point.
- Our Sociology PGCE Programme is designed so you can learn how to become a member of the teaching profession, not a teacher in one school.