What is the Suffolk & Norfolk Secondary SCITT Tuition PGCE?
'The Secondary SCITT Tuition PGCE team will guide you every step of the way during your training year.’
The Secondary SCITT Tuition PGCE programme is an exciting and very successful school based teacher training programme.
It was described by Ofsted (June 2013) as providing ‘strong personalised support that has a clear positive impact on trainees’ progress.
You will find your training year challenging at times but there is a very experienced and supportive Secondary SCITT Tuition team who are able to guide you every step of the way.
We are very proud of the support that we are able to offer to our trainees in partnership with our placement schools.
The programme is structured so that your teaching commitments gradually increase through the year. As your confidence increases, so does your teaching timetable. You are not employed by the school which gives you the flexibility to undertake your training at a personalised pace to suit your needs. You do not have sole responsibility for any classes so you are always working alongside an experienced teacher.
Why choose the Secondary SCITT Tuition PGCE programme?
- A Postgraduate Certificate in Education (the same qualification that university-based providers award).
- 60 Master’s level Credits – which help you on the path to gaining a Master’s qualification in your first five years of teaching.
- A well supported and personalised programme into teaching in the classroom. The Secondary SCITT Tuition programme allows you to gain gradually the skills needed to have confidence in front of students and become a high quality teacher by the end of the training year.
- Full participation in your placement school environment from the start of term in September. You are in school from the first day of term.
- Weekly communication from a network of SCITT Tutors who are external to your placement school. SCITT Tutors will visit you at least four times each year.
- Layers of support within school but also from the programme’s Personal Tutors and Subject Tutors.
- Specialised subject knowledge training delivered by experts for at least six days a year. *DT, PE and Science have additional days to cover the range of disciplines.
- Extremely good employment prospects – many of our trainees are employed in local schools.
- The benefit of experienced mentors and support staff in your placement school from the outset in September.
- High quality subject and core training delivered by practising teachers and experts.
- Core Training which is structured into six weekly blocks throughout the academic year, giving you the opportunity to reflect and discuss with other trainees about the application of the training into your teaching.
- Experience of teaching in two schools – term 1 and term 3 in one school and term 2 in another school. You are then ready to take on the challenges of starting a new school for your Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) year.
What do former trainees say?
‘The pastoral support of SCITT is fantastic. SCITT makes sure placement schools are good schools, and that the trainees are never left to swim solo.’
‘I have found the support on the SCITT to be by far the best academic and personal support I have ever received from a learning institution. I feel as though all the SCITT staff are approachable and down-to-earth, and understand that we are individuals and each requires different things.'
‘In terms of the course itself, I feel we have been prepared thoroughly for our time in school. Being in schools from day one gives you the edge that trainees from other providers just don't get, and allows you to get to know your students from the beginning of the year. This means that by the time you take over your classes, you are well-known and have already established many good relationships which will benefit teaching and learning in the classroom. ‘
‘For people who love to just get stuck in, and prefer a more practical approach to learning, I would highly recommend the SCITT Tuition route!’
In which subjects can I train?
You can train with Secondary SCITT Tuition in the following subjects for Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 (11 - 16):
Physics*, Chemistry* Maths*, Computer Science* and MFL*
English, Geography*, History, Music, Biology, DT and RE
PE, Art, and Drama
Business Studies, Sociology, Psychology (Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5 14 - 19)
* Trainees with a 2:1 and above can apply for a scholarship.
Full details of bursaries and tuition fees can be found on the finance page
For more information regarding bursaries and scholarships please visit http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/postgraduate-funding
What are the fees for training on the Secondary SCITT Tuition PGCE programme?
Full details of tuition fees and ways to cover the cost of your training can be found on the finance page.
One of our 2015 trainees told us:
‘For the extra miles you go as a provider I would say that you really get something for your money.’ (Former SCITT Trainee)
When I am not in my placement school where will my Core and Subject Knowledge training take place?
- There is a four-day induction at the end of August which is held at the University of Suffolk in Ipswich and the Professional Development Centre in Norwich.
- The week long Core Training sessions which take place approximately six times a year are spread between University of Suffolk in Ipswich and a training centre in Norwich.
- You will also have at least six Subject Knowledge days to attend and they will take place in local schools across Suffolk and Norfolk. These will be led by your Subject Tutor who is the subject specialist.
How will I be assessed?
- In order to achieve Qualified Teacher Status, you will be assessed against parts one and two of the Teachers’ Standards. Please follow this link to access them: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/teachers-standards
- All Secondary SCITT Tuition trainees are assessed across two consecutive key stages and secondary trainees are assessed in one main subject area. Please note Business Studies, Psychology and Sociology trainess will be assessed in their teaching across Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5.
- In some subjects such as PE, we can also help you to develop skills in a second subject to make you more employable.
- Your School Mentor and SCITT Tutors will use their lesson observations of your teaching and their meetings with you in order to track your progress against the Teachers’ Standards. In addition to your teaching you will be supported in compiling a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate that you have met the requirements of the Teachers’ Standards in full.
- Your Subject Tutor will work with your School Mentor in order to conduct formal assessments of your teaching and portfolio at three separate points in the year.
- You will be required to submit three written assignments in the course of the year. All three assignments will be assessed at M Level. You will be also asked to submit a pre-course assignment which you can complete over the summer break before you start the course at the end of August 2017.
Some final points to help you make up your mind –
- The Secondary SCITT Tuition programme has a high employment rate which Ofsted and our External Examiners have praised.
- The programme has extremely high numbers of schools in Suffolk and Norfolk requesting Secondary SCITT Tuition training places for 2017-18. This is because schools receive all the exciting benefits of working with trainees and trust us as a provider to work in close partnership. By expressing such a level of interest in the Secondary SCITT programme, our local schools are clearly expressing a commitment to the quality of the training that you will receive from them.
Information Evening - University of Suffolk 03 Oct 2018
Information Evening - University of Suffolk 06 Nov 2018